Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Easy Peasy Zucchini Soup

Sheesh, it's about time for another post!

So, somehow I manage to kill basically every potted plant that has made my acquaintance, including a little basil plant entrusted to me for just one week. (Sorry, Annie!) Case in point, observe my effect on these once-darling flowering plants. 

Shucks, I haven't even been able to keep alive a tiny herb garden to use for my recipes. All this, and I am just one generation removed from agrarian life, at least on my dad's side. Plus, my dad and mom always grew a lovely garden, not to mention their perfectly manicured, verdant yard. Why did the gene skip me? Well, at least I have some goals to work towards.

My exemplary sister-in-law, who makes things like gardening and being a perfectly consistent parent look easy*, once gave me a gem of knowledge about gardening: you'd have to be an idiot not to be able to grow zucchini! I think this is especially true in certain regions. But, I do know that many green thumbs have zucchini coming out of their ears during the summer. Thus the genesis of zucchini bread, right? When you get sick of grilling it, stuffing it, sauteing it, and frying it, why not transform it into a completely different entity to satisfy your sweet tooth? It tastes great to me! And yet I digress.


Today's focus is a savory option for your bountiful zucchini, one which I am hoping none of you has had before. It is easy and quick to whip up, cheap (especially if you have a neighbor who is only too happy to get rid of some of their supply, and if you use the cheaper options I include), and is absolutely delicious!

Like with many dishes, of course it will taste better if you use fresh basil and good Parmesan, but it still tastes FANTASTIC with the cheap ingredients. So, unless you have them on hand, are really picky, or are planning to serve it to a professional chef, go cheap and you will love it.
This recipe is complements of my outstanding friend, Diedra.

Cream of Zucchini Soup


Full Ingredients List:
2 ¼ lb zucchini cut length ways into quarters then into ½ in slices
1/4 C olive oil
2-4 garlic cloves, minced (1-2 tsp if you use a jar of pre-minced garlic)
2 1/2 C chicken stock** (OR 2 1/2 C water plus 1 TBS Chicken or Vegetable Better than Boullion)
1/4 C heavy cream
a handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped (OR about 2 tsp dried basil)
2 oz freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus more for garnish (OR 2 oz of the green container Parmesan!)
Salt and ground pepper, to taste

Directions:
Heat on medium high in a heavy-based pan:
   1/4 C olive oil
Add:
   2-4 garlic
   2 tsp dried basil
   2 1/4 lb zucchini (cut length ways into quarters then into ½ in slices)
   some salt
and cook for approximately 10 minutes, until the zucchini is lightly browned and very soft.

Add:
   2 1/2 C water
   1 TBS chicken Better than Bouillon (or regular bouillon)
   some pepper
and simmer for 8 minutes, uncovered. Remove from the heat.

Using an immersion blender/regular blender/ food processor, blend until smooth. Return to the pan (if you took it out to puree it) and stir in:
   1/4 C heavy cream
   2 oz Parmesan
Salt to taste.  

To serve, sprinkle with additional cheese (optional).  

*In retrospect, considering those other qualities I just mentioned, I should have taken her zucchini comment with a grain of salt! My attempt at growing zucchini was a total failure.

**I always substitute water+chicken Better Than Bouillon for chicken stock. It is delicious, easy to keep on hand, and cheaper than chicken stock (especially if you can get the giant jar at Costco for <$6.)

No comments:

Post a Comment